9th June | 2:10-2:50pm | online | free
Learn more about how Shakespeare is used in criminal justice settings around the world at this panel on the topic of International Networks and Communities: Applied Shakespeare in the Criminal Justice System. Dr Rowan Mackenzie (who spoke to us in 2019 about her experience of rehearsing and performing an adaptation of Macbeth in HMP Gartree in a blog which you can read here) will be joined in conversation with representatives from the Shakespeare in Prisons Network, Shakespeare Prison Project, Detroit Public Theatre and other institutions, including:
- Stratis Panourios, Theatre and Cinema Director, Greece
- Dr Jonathan Shailor, University of Wisconsin-Parkside and Director of Shakespeare Prison Project
- Frannie Shepherd-Bates, Director of Shakespeare in Prison, Detroit Public Theatre
- Michael Shortt, Alumni of Shakespeare Prison Project
- Haisan Williams, Alumni of Shakespeare Prison Project
The conversation forms part of a three-day event to celebrate the launch of the Shakespeare Beyond Borders Alliance, a new initiative which brings together Shakespeare practitioners, directors, government representatives, scholars, and institutions with the aim of fostering dialogue, collaboration and mutual learning across national, social and disciplinary borders.
Image courtesy of Dr Rowan Mackenzie.